Video: RFD puts out Friday night apartment fire on Tyler Road | Local News


A cooking fire caused moderate damage to an apartment on Friday evening, January 14, and a nearby apartment suffered smoke damage in the incident. The properties where the fire occurred are owned by Russ Bus and due to the incident the occupants of both apartments had to be temporarily relocated.

At approximately 7:40 p.m. on Friday evening January 14, Engine 4, Engine 1, Ladder 1, Battalion 1, Engine 3 and the Russellville Fire Department’s Office of the Fire Marshal were dispatched to 506 Tyler Road after Pope County dispatchers received a 911 call reporting a structure fire.

As fire companies responded to the scene, dispatch said the 911 caller reported she was cooking something on the stove when the fire broke out. The occupant was unable to extinguish the fire and at that time she called 911 and the occupants evacuated the apartment. The dispatcher said the occupant advised that upon leaving the apartment, flames were visible inside.

After dispatching RFD, the Pottsville Fire Department was also dispatched to respond and provide mutual aid if needed to fight the fire.

When the RFD arrived, Battalion 1 advised they had command and RFD firefighters launched a rapid attack against the flames inside the structure. As the fight began, additional firefighters confirmed that everyone was out of both apartments.

Firefighters quickly brought the flames inside the apartment under control and shortly before 8 p.m. Battalion 1 notified the dispatcher that the fire was under control.

At this time, the Pottsville Fire Department response was called off and they returned to their available station for duty.

RFD firefighters continued to work to put out the fire and soon after it was determined to be out. Once the fire was extinguished, Oberhaul’s efforts began and the Office of the Fire Marshal began their investigation.

In the meantime, Russ Bus manager Fred Teague contacted the occupants of the apartments and began making arrangements for them to stay.

As RFD firefighters completed their inspections of the apartments, firefighters checked the extent of the fire to ensure the fire had not spread to other areas such as the ceiling, attic or interior apartment walls.

Although the apartments were not destroyed in the fire, the apartment where the fire started suffered moderate damage and the second apartment suffered smoke damage. Thanks to the rapid response and rapid attack of the RFD firefighters, the fire was quickly extinguished and the damage was minimized. No occupants or firefighters were injured in the incident.

At the time of this story, the amounts of property loss and damage are unknown.

After Battalion 1 ended their command of the call, the RFD firefighters packed up their hoses and gear and returned to their available positions for duty.


Comments are closed.