The City of Powder Springs released the following summary of actions taken at last night’s City Council meeting
Nearly four dozen businesses received certificates or plaques at Monday night’s city council meeting for operating in Powder Springs for five, 10, 15, 20 or 25 years. The recognition ceremony followed the proclamation of the first week of May as Small Business Week.
The six companies receiving plaques have been in operation for a quarter of a century: Candy Apple Custom, Compass Building Systems Inc., Major Service Center, Powder Springs Barber Shop, Powder Springs Memorial Gardens and Superior Landscaping.
Clips & Tips Hair & Nail Salon and General Nutrition Center were awarded for reaching the 20 year mark. Caldwell Insulation Inc., Dawah International LLC, Macland Wings and More Inc., New Era Learning Center and State Farm Insurance marked 15 years.
Honored for reaching 10 years were:
- Malamav Community & Human Services
- Karen’s creations
- Stewart Brokers
- Compliant health care
- Brown’s kitchen and baths
- Jackson Glass LLC
- Alpha Truck Service LLC
- The Group Drives
- Foothills Chiropractic
- Train Anytime Power Springs
- Ted’s cruise and trip
The companies rewarded for their first five years of activity are:
- Greater Data Tech LLC
- SGC Chicken & Food
- Bushman handyman service
- Thomas & Anthony Consulting
- JTC West Cobb LLC
- South house and communication
- Alliance Tax Preparation
- little angels academy
- Gune Squad Booking and Management
- Preferred Mortgage Solutions
- Optimal Procom cleaning
- King Basement LLC
- The event station
- Governor’s Shooting Club
- From Neal Industries
- CGW Elite Business & Medical
- Clubhouse Caterpillar
- South Cobb Children’s Enrichment Center
- Zacxo LLC
- Good Lord Mobile Welding
- Georgia Assessor Group
- Essigmann & Associates
- Greener pastures
Another proclamation on Monday decides that the week of May 1 to May 7, 2022 is designated as “Professional City Clerks’ Week.” He thanked all City Clerks and Deputy Clerks for their service to their communities. Specifically, the proclamation cites that the Registrar “serves as a professional link between citizens, local governing bodies and government agencies at other levels.”
The proclamation was presented to City Clerk Kelly Axt and Deputy City Clerk Tamara Newkirt, and signed by Mayor Al Thurman. It also honors municipal and deputy clerks for “continually striving to improve the administration of their office by participating in educational programs, seminars, workshops, and annual meetings of their state, provincial, county and international”.
Axt has served as City Clerk of Powder Springs since December 2014 and Newkirt has served as Deputy City Clerk of Powder Springs since August 2020.
The International Institute of City Clerks (IIMC), a professional association of municipal, municipal, township, village, borough, deputy, and county clerks, sponsors City Clerks’ Week. The IIMC has 14,700 members in the United States, Canada and 15 other countries.
As part of the council action, council members unanimously approved a liquor license for Skint Chestnut Brewing, along with waiver requests at four residences.
- The purchase and outfitting of a 2022 Chevrolet Colorado work truck for use by stormwater and community development personnel.
- A $5,400 agreement with RAK Roofing & Construction to remove awnings from certain downtown commercial buildings.
- An agreement with Cost Reduction Analysts of Atlanta Inc. to provide certain expense audit services.
- A resolution approving and authorizing the use of Thurman Springs Park at 10 a.m. May 18 to host a Pre-K Graduation.