CHATTANOOGA — The Chattanooga Mocs men’s basketball team looks to extend their five-game winning streak with a Southern Conference game against Samford inside the Pete Hanna Center in Birmingham, Alabama on Wednesday night . Tipping is set at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
Chattanooga (18-4, 8-1 SoCon) is coming off a 75-62 road win over The Citadel on Saturday to stay atop the SoCon regular season standings, a half-game ahead of Furman (8 -2). Wednesday’s match at Samford marks the start of a four-game-in-seven-day streak for the Mocs. UTC is ranked No. 5 this week in Collegeinsider.com’s latest Mid-Major Top 25.
Samford (13-8, 3-6 SoCon) has won its last two games after suffering a four-game conference skid. The Bulldogs have won back-to-back double-digit wins, the most recent coming at West Carolina on Saturday, 74-64. UTC have won seven of the last eight meetings against Samford.
The game at Samford will be available LIVE on ESPN+ and accessible through the Watch ESPN platform. Fans can also listen LIVE on WFLI 96.1 FM/100.3 FM/1070 AM in Chattanooga as well as on the Varsity Network app.
RADIO RATING: WFLI has added 96.1 and 100.3 FM to its arsenal of stations. The previous deal had the Mocs on 97.7 FM and 1070 AM, which was a good base of operation. As of this weekend, 96.1 takes the place of 97.7 while 100.3 is added. Switching to 96.1 adds the audio range to approximately 100,000 homes while 100.3 extends overall coverage further north of the Tennessee River, notably strengthening the signal at Hixson and Soddy-Daisy.
Mocs Sports Network is developed by Mocs Sports Properties, the Learfield-owned media rights holder for Mocs athletics. MSN carries all men’s and women’s basketball and soccer games as well as “Chat with the Mocs”, a weekly coaching show covering all things Mocs.
Mocs Sports Network stations: 96.1 FM, 100.3 FM and 1070 AM.
Chattanooga | Samford | SoCon
SERIES HISTORY – 106and Meeting
All the time: 66-39 – Chattanooga
Last: 70-64, Chattanooga – January 20, 2021 (Birmingham, Alabama)
Homepage: 41-12 – Chattanooga
A way: 27-23 – Samford
Neutral: 2-0 – Chattanooga
– Chattanooga enters the game with an 18-4 record and an 8-1 mark in SoCon play…half game at No. 1 in the SoCon standings (Furman, 8-2)…after a win over the 75-62 road over The Citadel on Saturday … finished the Bulldogs’ regular season sweep … 11th win by a double-digit margin in 2021-22 … more since 15 in 2016-17.
– Chattanooga beat Samford 70-64 when they last met on Jan. 20, 2021 in Birmingham… the victory marked the seventh victory of the last eight tries under the head coach Lamont Paris… Malachi Smith led all game scorers with 16 and nearly missed his ninth double-double of the season with nine rebounds… UTC held Samford to just 22 points in the first half.
– Samford enters the game 13-8 overall and 3-6 inside the league…the Bulldogs have won their last two games after enduring a four-game skid… both double-digit wins…one over Mercer (1/26, 75-61) and one on the road at Western Carolina (1/29, 74-64).
– Chattanooga is ranked No. 41 in the latest NET rankings (1/31) … top team in SoCon … second highest in TN State (Tennessee, 13) … Chattanooga jumped two spots to No. 1 5 in the latest Collegeinsider.com.
– The Mocs shot 90% from the free throw line, going 18 of 20 on Saturday … third time in the last four games, shooting 90% or better (all on the road) … only Mocs team in the DI era with three games do 90% or better trying at least 20 in a game.
– Malachi Smith leads the Southern Conference and ranks 7th in the NCAA DI with an average of 21.4 points per game… 4th in the NCAA DI in total points with 471.
– Chattanooga is 15-1 this season in scoring 70 or more… after a 75-62 win over The Citdel… 6-0 in posting 80 or more… 2-3 in failing to score 70.
FOLLOW CHATTANOOGA BASKETBALL
Follow @GoMocsMBB on Twitter & to instagram for the latest Chattanooga men’s basketball information and news.
GoMocs.com is the official Chattanooga Mocs website. Buy officially licensed gear from our Online Store. Mocs can also be tracked on their official website Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the Mocs Club and support over 300 student-athletes by clicking here.