Killjoy council backtracks on late night kebab ban – after fans of the cult-favorite shop fought for the return of the 3am feast
- A cult kebab favorite has returned to its 3 a.m. hours after a stoush with the Council
- Woollahra Council banned late night trading after midnight in April
- Fans are fighting for the popular Indian venue on social media, with support from MP
- Liberal adviser Sean Carmichael got 4,000 signatures for his return hours
- Sydney kebab place offers popular garlic and butter chicken naan breads
A popular kebab shop has been vindicated after its early morning opening hours were reinstated so it could serve food to late-night revelers.
Woollahra Council had banned the Indian Home Diner from serving after midnight on Fridays and Saturdays in April after saying it was ‘not in the public interest’ for the outlet to remain open.
The Paddington meeting center had been a calling card for late-night crowds returning from the city and had a loyal clientele in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
After the ban, a wave of supporters from the Bondi Lines online community rose up in protest to get their early morning kebabs – the restaurant thanked the Instagram group for their help.
The Paddington meeting center (pictured) has been a calling card for late night crowds returning from the city and has a loyal following in Sydney’s eastern suburbs
The small family restaurant (pictured) will continue until 3am on Fridays and Saturdays from this weekend
After the ban, a wave of supporters from online community Bondi Lines rose up in protest to get their early morning kebabs.
Candidates for Wentworth’s federal seat at the time, Dave Sharma and Allegra Spender, also supported the restaurant, with Spender calling it a “national treasure”.
The Indian restaurant celebrated its return to its 3 a.m. closing time after the council backtracked on Tuesday evening.
An attendant at the Indian Home Diner told Daily Mail Australia: ‘We are delighted with the decision, not just us, all of our customers, neighbours.
On social media, the store’s page read: ‘We are a small family business and from the very beginning it has always been about bringing good food to good people.
“Never did we imagine that we would have such an impact on so many lives or that complete strangers would come together to rally alongside us during our difficult times.”
Halal meat and naans in sauce with garlic and butter chicken flavors will continue to comfort weary night owls until 3am starting this weekend.
Liberal Councilor Sean Carmichael, who secured 4,000 signatures on a petition to restore Indian food to the streets late at night, said a ‘beloved slice of Oxford Street has, for a change, been saved’.
He said there was ‘widespread public anger’ at the downturn in Oxford Street nightlife due to bureaucracy.
Halal meat and naan in sauce with garlic and butter chicken flavors will continue to comfort night owls
“We are thrilled with the decision, not just us, all of our customers, our neighbors,” a salesperson said Wednesday.
“Never did we imagine that we would have such an impact on so many lives or that complete strangers would come together to rally alongside us,” the store’s social media post said on Tuesday.