LAS VEGAS — The only light heavyweight fight on Saturday’s card had an early ending written all over it and delivered on that promise.
Opening the main card for UFC Fight Night 212 at UFC Apex was Alonzo Menifield taking on Misha Cirkunov, who was returning to the division after a stint at middleweight. The fight aired on ESPN+.
Menifield (13-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) switched sides for this fight and came out with a man in his corner, former UFC fighter Pat Barry. Always known for his explosive power, Menifield was able to put the finishing touches on Cirkunov (15-9 MMA, 6-7 UFC) just 1:30 into the first round.
It was a devastating knockout that left Cirkunov lying on the canvas for a few moments after the referee intervened to prevent Menifield from landing any more punches.
Check out the knockout aftermath video below (via Twitter):
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) October 15, 2022
With the win, Menifield makes it two in a row, coming on the heels of a first-round finish by Askar Mozharov in June. The hard-hitting light heavyweight now has 6 wins under the UFC banner, only one of which has made it to the judges’ scorecards.
On the other side, Cirkunov has lost four straight fights. His previous two appearances were unsuccessful experiments in the middleweight division.
The most recent results from UFC Fight Night 212 include:
- Alonzo Menifield defeated. Misha Cirkunov via KO (punches) – Round 1, 1:28
- Mana Martinez defeats. Brandon Davis via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Jacob Malkoun defeated. Nick Maximov by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joanderson Brito defeats. Lucas Alexander via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:02
- Piera Rodriguez defeats. Sam Hughes via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tatsuro Taira defeats. CJ Vergara via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 4:19
- Pete Rodriguez defeats. Mike Jackson via KO (knee) – Round 1, 1:33
For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s Event Center for UFC Fight Night 212.