Welcome back, New London. Here’s all the local news, events, and community messages you need for Tuesday, November 29.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Quite sunny. High: 40 Low: 33.
Here are today’s best stories in New London:
- New London celebrates the first night of Hanukkah (theday.com)
- Coast Guard Academy in search of large-scale artwork for new building (theday.com)
- Ribbon cutting for open space in Groton (theday.com)
- Police: Woman wanted for breaking into cars during CT youth football game (New Haven Register)
- Burnett’s Country Gardens hosts the Small Business Saturday Manufacturers’ Market (Hartford Courant)
Today’s New London Daily is brought to you by our friends at Ring, the home security company. Ring does more than just doorbells – discover their full line of smart home products on Ring.com. And thank you ring for helping bring local news to New London!
Today in New London:
- Donation Tuesday – Habitat for Humanity Eastern Connecticut (12:00 p.m.)
- Atelier Perler Bead – New London Public Library (4:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- US Coast Guard Academy: “Happy #USCGA Hanukkah !!” (Facebook)
- United States Coast Guard Music: “From all of us, I wish you and your loved ones a happy and healthy Hanukkah! ” (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “To the Jewish members of our community, SUBASE New London wishes you a happy Hannukah! https://www.facebook.com/NavyMCPON/posts/444869297007713 »(Facebook)
- Coast Guard Academy Lacrosse: “BEAR PROMOTE: ok, I finally got another one! Great photos from COAST GUARD ACADEMY’s ‘Old Bear’ program ‘Old Bear’ and the all new LTJG Riley McNulty, CGA ’20 (Midfield / Arnold, MD / Broadneck ) at the bow of the USCGC WILLIAM TRUMP – a 154-foo … “(Facebook)
- College of Connecticut: “In The Academic Minute, economics professor Mark Stelzner examines the birth of modern capitalism and its links to slavery. https://bit.ly/3cEooTJ ”(Facebook)
- FEES New London: “We are grateful for your kindness, wisdom and most of all your hugs. Thank you for your continued support to FRESH and the huge impact you have had on New London. Rest In Power. We miss you already.” (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “Upcoming Third Party Inspections of Navy Privatized Family Housing As part of the requirements set out in the Fiscal Year 2020 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the Commander of the Naval Facilities Command will facilitate third party … “(Facebook)
- New London Police Union: “New London Police and Fire Union Toy Drive. A holiday tradition that started 21 years ago by members of the Police and Fire Union unions. We love to see familiar faces but really hope to see new ones. We are looking forward to seeing everyone. ” (Facebook)
- Cultural Coalition – Culturesect: The association is soliciting submissions from muralists and artists interested in creating art for two interior walls, both of which are 40-foot by 16-foot spaces. One spot is above the entrance on the north side of the building. The other is on … “(Facebook)
- Williams School: “Service committee members set up a tree in the teaching and learning center to collect mittens, hats, gloves and boots for the @thewarmcenter! The service committee will be collecting donations until the 17th / 12 /! ” (Facebook)
- New London Public Schools: “Hola Familias! Los invitamos este miércoles 1 de diciembre a nuestra cena informativa. CB Jennings International Elementary Magnet School 50 Mercer St, New London CT 06320 From 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Acompáñenos para una deliciosa cena gratuita …” (Facebook )
- Spark Makerspace: “Open Sew in Fiber Arts Monday 6 p.m. at Spark Makerspace 7 Union St. New London Come Sew with us. (Suggested donation $ 5)” (Facebook)
- Southeast Connecticut Child and Family Agency: “Learn more and pre-register for the 49th CFA Annual Meeting at https://www.childandfamilyagency.org/event/49th-annual-meeting/” (Facebook)
- FEES New London: “Can you help our pop-up pantry partners in December?” Register using the link below: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040A49ADA629A3F94-help3 ”(Facebook)
- New London homeless reception center: “This year, for GivingTuesday, please consider a gift to the New London Homeless Hospitality Center. He helps hundreds of people a year, people like Donald, on their journey to a permanent home. https://www.facebook.com/donate/ 2343630392 … “(Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “It’s cold both outside and inside of this snow globe! Watch our how-to video to avoid getting stuck inside your paper plate snow globe! Paper plate snow globe kits will be available in the children’s room throughout the week. …” (Facebook)
- Maritime Museum of Customs: “Bah-dah-boom – 3 events this week at the Custom House ~ OpenMic tonight ~ Wednesday evening ~ Book talk Saturday It’s What’s Up – November 28, 2021 https://conta.cc/313Rb1o” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Adopt a Book of the Week Offer: Sponsor two books for the price of one. You can visit the library or sponsor them online at www.plnl.org/aab2021 ”(Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Our Mystery Book Club is back for a Zoom session with local author, Faye Ringel! Faye will lead a discussion on Barbara Cleverly’s Falling Angels. Copies of the book are available at the Public Library’s loan desk o … ” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Head over to the Lyman Allyn Art Museum for free entry to their Winter Wonder Day! Want to have your picture taken with Santa? pre-register on their website here: https: / … “(Facebook)
Did you know that you can feature your local business here in the newsletter for only $ 79 / month? Click here to find out more.
If you are feeling these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors into the fold. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Chris rhatigan
About me: Chris Rhatigan is a freelance writer and editor.
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming New London Daily? Contact me at NewLondon@Patch.com.